It was a pleasure getting to see everyone at Unbundling Uncovered New York 2023. Thank you to the Substantive Research team for putting on a great program!
Our key takeaways from the event:
- Regulations are changing and potentially reverting back to a bundling of commissions to pay for trading and research in the UK and EU. The unfortunate reality is the damage is done. The largest asset managers in the world have already moved to a payment from P&L setting the tone for change regardless of the regulations.
- Research providers will need to focus on transformative technologies and differentiated research services, content and datasets to compete. Nothing new here. The best research houses have led the way in their offering, but others are feeling the pressure to increase the quality of their product and services or run the risk of not getting paid as the buy side continues to concentrate their payments with their top providers.
- Budgets are under scrutiny for research and data services are increasingly being requested but with little to know additional funding to increase their research payments but rather a reallocation of the funds current budget.
- Corporate access is back in person, as technology is extracting and scaling the distribution of content to the end client.
- Research valuation processes are getting more sophisticated and detailed as a means for recognizing and rewarding performance to the sell side.
Our very own Doug Christensen (VP, Head of Capital Market Solutions) got an opportunity to field a few questions on the current state of capital markets and where firms are making the biggest changes to take on the challenges to come. If you’d like to hear more of his thoughts, take a look at some of the videos below.
Where do you think you’ve seen the biggest innovation in the market right now? How is your firm innovating?
What’s the most important thing that research providers need to do in order to navigate this tough environment that we’ve seen?
What’s the most interesting theme that you’ve heard coming out from Unbundling Uncovered today?
Managing Risk to Achieve Optimal ROI
Identifying potential mitigations to capitalize on CRM opportunities.
Manish Patel, COO of CRM at Tier1 Financial Solutions, and Vaughn Harvey, Managing Director, Head of CRM, Analytics & Digitalization at Jefferies, discussed specific insights on how mitigating risk helps to achieve optimal ROI.